GUIDANCE REGARDING CHANGES TO THE IDENTITY CHECKING PROCESS FROM 1ST SEPTEMBER- 31/08/12
The nottinghamshire.employmentcheck.org.uk system will be updated to comply with the Disclosure and Barring Service revised and enhanced identification checking guidelines. The changes have been reflected on the system since 1st September 2012. From this date you will need to follow the new three route process using the updated List of Valid ID Documents (full list below).
The new guidelines will make it more difficult for individuals to conceal previous criminal records by changing their name and are part of an ongoing process to enable easier detection of undeclared changes of name in future.
As part of the changes, 21 documents have been withdrawn from the list of valid ID documents, and a new three route process introduced by which ID verifiers should check an applicant's identity.
The Recruitment Team will be available for advice and support. Contact details can be found on the Contact Us page.
To complete ID Verification you will need to follow the three routes as outlined below:
One document from Group 1 and 2 further documents from Group 1, 2a or 2b; one of which must verify your current address.
If you cannot produce a Group 1 document then go to Route Two.
In the absence of a Group 1 document you must have a valid reason for using Route 2.
One document from Group 2a and 2 further documents from Group 2a or 2b; one of which must verify your current address.
You will need to alert your ID Verifier that you need to complete your ID via route two. They will then contact the Recruitment Team who will complete the external ID validation.
If you cannot meet the requirements of Route One and/or Two, you will need to discuss this with your manager.
You must produce:
Birth certificate (UK and Channel Islands) – (issued at the time of birth by the General Register Office/ relevant authority i.e. Registrars – Photocopies are not acceptable)
Four further documents from Group 2 comprising of one document from Group 2a and three further documents from Group 2a or 2b, one of which must verify your current address.
List of Valid Identity Documents
Group 1 – Primary Trusted Identity Credentials
- Current valid Passport
- Biometric Residence Permit (UK)
- Current Driving Licence (UK) (Full or provisional) Isle of Man /Channel Islands;
- Photo card only (a photo card is only valid if the individual presents it with the associated counterpart licence; except Jersey)
- Birth Certificate (UK and Channel Islands) - issued at the time of birth; full or short form acceptable including those issued by UK authorities overseas, such as Embassies, High Commissions and HM Forces
Group 2a – Trusted Government/State Issued Documents
- Current UK Driving licence (old style paper version)
- Current Non-UK Photo Driving Licence (valid only for applicants residing outside of the UK at time of application)
- Birth Certificate (UK and Channel Islands) - (issued after the time of birth by the General Register Office/relevant authority i.e. Registrars – Photocopies are not acceptable)
- Marriage/Civil Partnership Certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
- Adoption Certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
- HM Forces ID Card (UK)
- Fire Arms Licence (UK and Channel Islands)G
Group 2b – Financial/Social History Documents
- Mortgage Statement (UK or EEA)** (Non-EEA statements must not be accepted)
- Bank/Building Society Statement (UK or EEA)* (Non-EEA statements must not be accepted)
- Bank/Building Society Account Opening Confirmation Letter (UK)
- Credit Card Statement (UK or EEA)* (Non-EEA statements must not be accepted)
- Financial Statement ** - e.g. pension, endowment, ISA (UK)
- P45/P60 Statement **(UK & Channel Islands)
- Council Tax Statement (UK & Channel Islands) **
- Work Permit/Visa (UK) (UK Residence Permit) **
- Letter of Sponsorship from future employment provider (Non-UK/Non-EEA only – valid only for applicants residing outside of the UK at time of application)
- Utility Bill (UK)* – Not Mobile Telephone
- Benefit Statement* - e.g. Child Allowance, Pension
- A document from Central/ Local Government/ Government Agency/ Local Authority giving entitlement (UK & Channel Islands)*- e.g. from the Department for Work and Pensions, the Employment Service , Customs & Revenue, Job Centre, Job Centre Plus, Social Security
- EU National ID Card
- Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK and Channel Islands)
- Letter from Head Teacher or College Principal (16/19 year olds in full time education - only used in exceptional circumstances when all other documents have been exhausted)
* Documentation should be less than 3 months old
** Issued within the past 12 month